Sunday, March 04, 2007

Lazy Sunday Scenes in Arizona

Mountains and sunsets were made for each other. Denny and I take a walk every night, looking for coyotes or wild burros, unusual birds or just snowbirds doing their thing. We look at the colorful, big motorhomes and the tiny trailers that people travel in, we watch the river flow by. It's a time to be quiet, to observe, to breathe.

I have no idea what mountain range this is that lies to the west of Earp, California, but I call the tall spire "The Needle". I like it almost as much as the Superstition Mountains east of AJ.



This is a picture of the homes hugging the Colorado River in Arizona taken while on Parker Dam Road on the California side of the river. When we pulled into the campground the clouds had turned a vivid fuchsia but there were too many power lines and rvs obstructing the shot to take a good picture.

This is the view those who are lucky enough to have a riverfront camp site at Emerald Cove enjoy every evening. The small hill to the very left of the frame is a deep copper-red that glows for a brief time every night but I couldn't catch the intense color and I didn't want to "create" the color artificially.

If you stay in the desert for any length of time, you are going to suffer through a dust storm at some point. This is The Needle at about 7:30 PM when the winds were gusting to 30 mph. Needless to say, Denny and I skipped our walk that night.


A full moon greeted us the afternoon we arrived in Salome, AZ

If you get out of a warm bed on a chilly morning you have the opportunity to watch the full moon sink behind the mountains. When there is no traffic on Hwy. 60 that runs parallel to our campground, there is absolutely no sound; no bird noise, no people noise, nothing. It's almost eerie, but oh so beautiful.

1 comment:

Silliyak said...

Just stumbled in here after I clicked on a comment you left with "Norman". I'm enjoying the pics and the commentary, and looking forward to future posts. Our travel in that area consisted of several mad dashes to Ruidoso, NM after my Mother in law died 2 years ago. BTW, Ruidoso is very nice, and is known for having a horse race track.
My wife and I are retired, mid 50's.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...