Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Okay, Now It's Too Hot


That's Patches en route from Apache Junction to Yuma. She hate riding, can you tell? Heh. The way she looks is the way I've felt the last two days. Kinda wiped out, kinda lazy, and real hot. The temperatures have been in the mid 90s (yeah, yeah, it's a dry heat) and we're working on adjusting to it.

Denny and I had an unusual weekend--we did something. Saturday was the big 70th birthday bash for Rene, arranged by his lovely wife Barb, and it was a family and friends get-together that ended up being noisy, full of food and vino, and fun. Sunday our online acquaintances, Bill and Diane, stopped by for an afternoon visit allowing us to get to know each other better in person and the hours simply flew by. It was such a change from our normal, quiet weekend routine and it felt good to be with friends.

Yuma is still crowded with winter visitors, 90 per cent of whom were at the grocery store when we needed to run in for one item after a frustrating afternoon (another fight with the DirecWay system). You see, there was a man selling fresh strawberries at a roadside stand a few miles from the campground, which meant we were obligated to buy some, necessitating a trip into town for Bisquick for shortcakes. Because Denny cannot have strawberries without shortcakes (none of this namby-pamby spongey cake stuff for him!) And strangely enough, all these winter visitors who have had all day to shop were at the store when I just wanted to run in, grab the Bisquick and run out again. Sigh. Crowds make me grumpy. Old, slow, what-did-I-want-in-this-row, hmm-let-me-stand-with-my-basket-in-the-middle-of-the-aisle-blocking-traffic crowds make me mutter to myself under my breath.

And yes, I know that someday I will be standing in the middle of an aisle in a store wondering what it was I wanted there. I'll probably be the one drooling to boot. But yesterday all I knew was that if Yuma was going to be like this from now on, I wanted no part of it anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is difficult for me to fathom that it can actually be 90 degrees somewhere.. but poor Patches does look a tad warm. She reminded me of how my poor Coco felt and looked as we crossed the Canadian prairies mid July. I didn't look much better. If we ever do that again.. it will be in an air conditioned car. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...