Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Whose Woods These Are*

* Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.

Denny and I have been spinning our wheels a lot this week, attempting to get the new truck titled and registered in Ohio. The Florida Ford dealer didn't send the memorandum of sale as promised so there were irate phone calls involved also. While dealing with all that, we got a few things done over at my mother's house and tomorrow we'll head down to Cincinnati to Denny's dad's house to see if the manure has been delivered for the garden and what shape the yard is in. We've basically been in that new truck driving hither and yon since Saturday morning, so this afternoon it was nice to wander the woods here at the "preserve" with Patches. There are very few people camping here at the moment, so I'm enjoying the peace and quiet before school lets out and the peak camping season begins.


Spring beauty flowers. Some of these tiny blossoms have more dark pink stripes on them, making them look pink rather than white with pink stripes. According to my National Audubon Society Guide to Wildflowers, the Spring Beauty grows from an underground tuber like a potato that has a sweet, chestnut-like flavor that Indians and early colonists used for food. Umm, I think I'll pass on that.


Spring larkspur is a striking deep purple with a tiny white center. According to the wildflower guide, it produces an alkaloid that can poison cattle. I guess I won't be picking any of those.


A trillium. What a surprise to find these in the woods in a huge swath of white and green. While I had never seen them before in real life I had read about them so I was able to recognize it without the book.


A cat-eating tree. Genus unknown.

4 comments:

Silliyak said...

Thanks for identifying the last, I thought it was the dreaded cat tail tree

Nancy said...

Five springs sounds good to me!

Now, time to grow tomatoes....

Anonymous said...

Patches must just love her little adventures. The cat in the tree photo is so cute. :-)

Camille Carnell Pronovost said...

The "Cat Eating Tree, genus unknown", made me laugh out loud! Too funny.

Camille

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...