Saturday, January 08, 2011

Off to a Roaring Start

It's my fault. I did it. I responded to the comment of a friend on F*cebook, saying that all was well with The Beast. Yep, jinxed myself for the new year.

It started simply enough; it was time to change the water filter to the ice maker/water dispenser in the refrigerator. That sounds relatively easy, but it entails removing half the contents of our basement storage bin (very large space indeed), removing a large panel and then Denny has to crawl inside the bin to access the water filter (which is actually a whole house type filter.) He finished that job, turned the water back on and realized he had a sizable leak in the compartment. Not from the water filter, but from somewhere along the water lines. After a couple of minutes, Denny discovered the leak was coming from the water heater bypass valve. Taking it apart, he discovered that one hose nib had been glued/screwed in, leading us to believe that the factory installers over tightened the piece when screwing it in and instead of taking the entire piece out, they just glued it. We weren't sure that it wasn't the brass water bypass valve itself, so I called the nearest RV parts dealer which was 35 miles away in Panama City. The lady wasn't sure she had our part, but thought they did. Of course, once we drove all the way down there we discovered they didn't have the bypass valve, but they did have the plastic hose nib, so we bought that. The service techs were kind enough to dig out the old plastic part for us since Denny didn't have the taps to do it and back we went. Fifteen minutes later the water bypass valve was back in place and psshhhh! Water everywhere. It seems one of the other plastic nibs had a crack. By now it was too late to go back to Panama City so we went waterless for the evening. And before you ask, yes, we have a water pump and water in the fresh water tank but using the water pump was the same as using fresh water from the hose; it sent water gushing out of the leaking plastic part all over the storage bin, soaking the floor and who knows what underneath the flooring. So it was buckets and water heated on the stove for the rest of the evening and this morning. Roughing it.

This morning entailed yet another 60+ mile round trip to Panama City to the hardware store to buy the plastic parts (several, this time) and return home to install them. Denny put it all together, I turned on the water, we held our breath. No leak. Yay! I crawled into the bin, sopped up all the water from last night, Denny put all our "stuff" back into the storage bin and we came inside where we crossed our fingers that this would be the last of the "what nows?" for a while. Because that was the fourth leak in the fourth different place in this rig so far. Not that I'm counting. *sigh*

3 comments:

Sue and Doug said...

when it leaks it pours!..we feel you pain!..hope you get it all dried up and fixed soon!

Arkansas Patti said...

Mercy, what a hassle. Good thing Denny is handy. I know there are people in RVs that have no clue. Scary.

simplycol.com said...

Oh Linda, I would be crying and pulling out my hair at this point. Thank goodness Denny knows his way around the mechanical side of this beast. I am sincerely hoping that this is the last of your troubles. But .. just to be on the safe side.. best to stay mum about it. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...