Friday, June 06, 2008

Hot Town*

*Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

All around, people looking half dead
Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head
---partial lyrics from "Summer in the City" by the Lovin' Spoonful

Summer has arrived with a vengeance in Ohio. Cool one day, barrels of rain and then the thermometer crept into the 90s yesterday with more of the same forecast for the next four days.

Lovely lake, right?
Nope, a local corn field and this one is just one of many. Country back roads are flooded and closed down if they are located next to a crick (creek) and corn and soybeans fields are bogs. Last year Ohio was suffering drought conditions and now this. And oh, the cicadas are here. It's estimated that 2 to 3 billion of the little critters will be coming out of the ground in southwestern Ohio between now and July 4th. It's an Ohio thing.

Time to go cut grass...again.

3 comments:

Deana said...

Summer has struck Southern Virginia with a vengenace too. Record highs for early June. 97 today and I am having to go in and out...in and out..to maintain. I can't stay outside in this heat.

Anonymous said...

When I was younger I used to love those really really hot days.. not so much anymore.

"Summer in the City" was and is one of my all time favourite summer songs. To this day, on a hot hot day, the lyrics run through my head.

Nancy said...

nope, cicadas aren't just an Ohio thing. I always think summer begins with their song.

What can I say? It's a noise I like much better than traffic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...