Sunday, June 15, 2008

Oh So Late on Lazy Sunday

Again, my post ends up being the week in recap. We did get the air conditioning repaired and found an honest RV repair business in the bargain. The service technician there actually repaired the air conditioner instead of just replacing the entire unit with a new one, which meant a less expensive bill for us. And I'm all for less expensive bills! It works fine and he'll be added to the businesses we trust page on my RV Vagabonds website. Soon.

The garden has broccoli sprouting and the fence is up and beeping at us but so far both Denny and I have refused to be the guinea pig who touches the electrified fence to see what type of "jolt" the deer would get if they tried to reach through or over it. I got knocked on my rear end once when my first husband improperly rewired a 220 volt outlet for the dryer so I'm a little cautious around electricity now. The proverbial once burned, etc.

Today is Father's Day so Darb stopped by for a visit this morning. Speaking of guinea pigs, I tested out a variation of Vicki's "Drunken Arnie" drink using my homemade bitter lemon as well as my new "Raspberry Tart" drink. Not bad, even if I do say so myself. I also may have spoiled his meal with his in-laws by feeding him strawberry shortcake made with our freshly picked berries. But then again, at times I think he has a hollow leg. For food and drink. Don and Vicki hadn't left on their bike ride yet, so they got to see Darb for the first time in 22 years. It's so hard to reconcile the adult children we now have with the small blond boys we remember playing together. As the song says, "I don't remember growing older--when did they?"

Sigh. Enough of that. Random stuff here today folks, so here goes:
St. Augustine is a pretty classy place downtown, but on the way to historic St. Augustine you have to pass this huge car wash made to look like a giant paddle wheeler. Who thought of that one?

Not that this is Denny's best side or anything, but I wanted a shot of him walking the Oregon Trail. To walk on the actual wagon ruts created by all those pioneers sent a frisson down my spine.

Zion National Park's Court of the Patriarch Mountains. Such a beautiful, magical place needs to be explored more thoroughly on foot someday.

One of the most scenic golf courses Denny and I have ever played was the Sky Mountain Golf Course in Hurricane, Utah. Watching the play of the sun and the shadows of the clouds on the mountains was a serious distraction from my golf game. Not that it could hurt it any worse than it already is.

The view from the summit of Stinking Water Pass. From the air conditioned cab of the truck we couldn't smell the sulfur that gave the pass its name.

This common poorwill or nighthawk (I'm not sure which it is) sat so still for so long when I first notice it that I thought it was ill or dying. A quick check of my bird book informed me that it is a nocturnal creature that slept during the day. I just couldn't figure out why (s)he was doing it on a fence in the the 90 degree temperatures of broad daylight instead of finding a nice shady tree.

Coffee, tea or me?

4 comments:

Soulknitting said...

GREAT pics! And glad to hear your got your AC fixed. AND by someone you trust. I'm dreading ever replacing my house A/C. I just don't trust any of the A/C repair companies in Las Vegas. Sad.

We finally hit 100* this week. I'm not complaining that we had not before, believe me. I'm hoping with all the weird weather we WON'T see 120* all of a sudden. When I was a kid here, it would occasionally get to 118* in the city. Which is rare.

Additionally, now with all the pavement and concrete, we don't cool down a night like we used to. So we have longer high temperature periods now. I'm surprised that last year didn't hit that mark. The lake did. UGH.

And even if you're a desert Tortoise, it will still fry your brain. Mr. Tuttles is in danger anytime after 103* I monitor his den. Last year it was below 90* when it was over 112*. Which is good for him. 80*'s are great.

Now if I could keep ME that cool.....

Nancy said...

Ah, I once walked on the Oregon Trail. It was a humbling experience, to think of walking beside a wagon, in dust kicked up by the draft animals. I don't think I could have done it, even in the wagon.

ahh I want a bistro set. I think I want a black one though, or perhaps a wildly red one! Or Blue, or green...gee, I don't know.

It's been so hot here that I've had to use some paper towels as a way to touch the steering wheel without getting burnt.

Deana said...

Great photos...and I am with you on the touching the fence thing. Once bitten twice shy kind of thing there!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are now enjoying air conditioned comfort.

Love the photos. Such rugged breath taking terrain. And the little hawk is adorable.

Learned a new word today.. frisson, and I like it. :-) I am so often impressed by your word skills.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...