Monday, August 08, 2005

A quiet Sunday

Breakfast this morning was at the 42nd St. Cafe which is actually on Pacific Highway (SR 103) in Long Beach. The chatty menu mentioned the "chef" so I figured the meal was going to be expensive and probably just adequate and I was right on both counts. We much preferred Laurie's Cafe across the street. If we ever come back to the area we'll try the restaurants about nine miles to the north in Ocean Park to see if prices are any more reasonable.

On the way back I snapped a couple of pictures of the carved animals in town, one of "the world's largest skillet" and then we drove down to the beach to take a couple of pictures of the reconstructed skeleton of a gray whale that has been placed on the beach as part of the Lewis and Clark celebration. The marker stated the whale had died on the beach a mile north of its current location and originally the town buried it right there but exhumed it for display as part of the bi-centennial next to the half mile long boardwalk and the Discovery Trail.

It was too early and a bit too windy for kites on the beach this morning. If we lived near a beach I think I'd get into flying kites as there are so many unique shapes and sizes now and with the constant breeze they would be much easier to get into the air. I wasn't very good at that as a child and wasn't much better with our kids' kites, much to my chagrin. But here all you have to do is let out the string and off it goes-I could handle that!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...