Monday, August 01, 2005

Sunday in Long Beach

Our campground has access to the beach via a pathway that stretches about two-tenths of a mile long. I decided yesterday that it had been long enough since I had sunned on a beach and took myself there along with my binoculars for spotting porpoises. What a gorgeous day it was! Warm, sunny and enough breeze to support the colorful kites flying in profusion up and down the beach. Kites have changed so much from my childhood-no more triangles of paper pulling long tails of ripped up rags but instead multi-colored contraptions in all shapes and sizes dancing merrily on the wind. Someone was beginning to learn to control one of those acrobatic kites that zoom and swirl around at the slightest touch-what fun!

It didn't take the lullaby of the waves long to lull me into a state of near-sleep and deep relaxation. I told Denny I'd be an hour but stretched it to an hour and 45 minutes simply because it felt so good to be there. I was surprised there weren't more people on the beach, but the rodeo was being held in town so I suppose a lot of folks were there.

Coming back to the rig I noticed our new neighbor was still struggling to set up his DirecWay satellite system that he had been working on when I left. Forty-five minutes later he was still struggling with it and I thought about offering our assistance but since he had given off vibes of "I can do it myself" when I made a light-hearted comment about the occasional frustration of setting up the dish I let it go. I don't think he ever got it up and running as he's a relative newbie to the process and the way he's trying to level his system is throwing all his settings off. Today we'll let him know we're available to assist if he wants some advice. It's hard not jumping in when you see someone doing something the hard way, isn't it?

We had a little excitement later as we were chatting with the same neighbors; Denny was showing the husband our DirecWay set up and I was talking to his wife who was holding the leashes of their two large mixed-breed dogs when a woman with a small dog and a poodle walked by the rear of the rig. Man, for some reason one of our neighbor's dogs took a dislike to that poodle and pulled the neighbor flat on her face, literally, getting loose in the process and attacking the poodle. Fortunately, Denny head the ruckus and pulled the big dog off the little one which was screaming like it was being killed. Wow! I guess the poodle turned out to be okay, but everyone was shaken by the whole thing. If the neighbor's dog is that protective, they could have a problem here because it appears there's at least two dogs to every rig here which makes for a whole lot of dogs walking around at all times. While Denny and I both like dogs, neither of us has owned one in years and we have no desire to take on that responsibility again. Incidents like yesterday's just reconfirm that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...