Sunday, November 12, 2006

Here it is, Missy


Missy said yesterday when we were leaving her house that I hadn't blogged about her. Technically true, although I did mention her here in May. I try to be careful when blogging about friends and family so I don't intrude upon their lives or our relationships. Be careful what you ask for, Melissa!

Melissa was hired on as a dispatcher while I was the training officer and we got along well right away because we had the same work ethic. We didn't hang around together after work because I worked days and she worked the 3PM to 11PM shift, but we were friends. We stayed in touch by e-mail after Denny and I retired as Melissa could vent to us about things going on at the police department, knowing we would understand. Occasionally she'd ask for advice and I'd put my two cents in and sometimes I'd offer my advice whether she wanted it or not. Distance actually made us closer rather than drawing us apart.

A couple of years ago Missy met a wonderful man who just happened to be in the military. And as happens with military folks, Mark was sent to training out of state and their relationship became a long distance routine but they stayed together. Eventually, they married in Texas and Missy returned to her job in Ohio while Mark finished his schooling in Texas. Mark was given a choice of assignments and he and Missy decided on Sumter, South Carolina. Now my friend had to make a huge step in giving up her house and her careern and leave her friends and family to move with her new husband and start a whole new life. Scary stuff, folks, when you've been independent for so many years!

Three months ago Mark was sent to the Middle East (not Iraq or Afghanistan) for a six month assignment, so when we decided to travel around the southern states until it was time for us to drive back to Ohio for Christmas it was natural for us to plan a stop in South Carolina to see our friend. Melissa and Mark have created a warm and comfortable home and their two schnauzers, Elvis and Harley, are adorable little creatures who offer great comfort to Missy right now.

Denny and I spent a wonderful day visiting with Missy, going out to dinner at a nice restaurant called Stellato's (which I'll review on my website later) and thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Missy said she and Mark have talked about learning to play golf so we decided that we'll all get together down the road and play as a foursome. Sounds like a plan to us!

So here it is, Missy. I blogged about you. Love ya, chickie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi to Missy.. and so nice to meet you and your cute pups. Enjoyed the video and hope that your hubby gets back home, safe and sound, soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...