Monday, July 28, 2008

Another One

It felt so good to be home; we were unpacked and had finished a quick lunch of ham sandwiches with freshly picked tomatoes on them and I jumped on the computer to check e-mail. Vicki was online so I IMed her to say "hey" only to be told a mutual friend of ours passed away yesterday from cancer.

I met Mike 37 years ago at the Golden Lion, a dance club in Dayton. We shared some dances and went our separate ways, only to meet up again four years later at a Knights of Columbus function. His dad was a member as was my then-father-in-law and they were recruiting a younger generation of men to join up and thus Mike and I "re-met", although I was a married woman now. More young couples joined up and we partied and danced and bowled and had a great time together and then I divorced my husband and fell away from the group.

Vicki came back into my life a couple of years ago and with her came some of the old crowd from the K of C and that included Mike. He was always a skinny guy, but this time when I saw him it was not a good skinny although he was tanned dark as a nut and looked healthy otherwise. But the healthy looking exterior hid the cancer inside which took him at last. And once again I question why this insidious disease takes the good ones, so often way, way too soon. Because we're too young for this sh*t, right?

And hey, Mike? Save me a fast one, okay?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

I too hate this disease and the sorrow it causes. Thankfully research is ongoing and making great strides. I am hoping that one day my children or grandkids will not know the sadness of losing a friend to cancer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...