Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Quiet Saturday

It's been an up and down day for my mother. She's tolerating food better today than she was yesterday, but the muscle relaxants and pain medication cause severe nausea for her. I took her out to her favorite Chinese restaurant for lunch just to get us both out of the house and she's been sleeping most of the afternoon since we got home. Which means she'll be up all night. The good news is that she's able to walk a little and at times she feels good enough to smile.

Tomorrow I'm going "home" to Cinci for two days before I have to return to take Mom to the doctor for a follow up visit to check her back. I'm hoping my brother will check on her tomorrow after I leave and Monday my aunt and uncle will be stopping by for the afternoon. Beyond that, I have to play it by ear. I've filled Mom's freezer with meals, bought her a fresh can of coffee and she has her cigarettes, so she's set for a while. But I'm watching her disintegrate before my eyes and that's hard for me because she has always been so active and vibrant. Now she's just a tiny, sick old woman who only occasionally shows a spark of the woman she once was. That's what I'm having trouble dealing with at this point.

On a different note, the Hughes installer should come Monday to fix our satellite Internet system so once again there will be no Lazy Sunday post. My heart just isn't in it this week anyway.

P.S. Deana, thanks for the offer on the "It's 5 o'clock Somewhere" garden flag. I saw an even cuter one on a website and didn't bookmark it like a dummy. That one had the parrot, margaritas and a couple of Adirondack chairs on a beach. My idea of heaven, to be sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess I should be reading from the bottom up.. I see it is the meds causing your mom's nausea. There are anti-emetics that may help..ie gravol, maxeran.. but they too can cause drowsiness.

I so understand how difficult this is. My mom's condition sounds fairly similar. She still lives independently.. but just barely. At times I feel that she is slowly shrinking away until one day she will simply fade away. It is sad and difficult, I know. ((hugs))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...