Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Day Brightener

I wish I had had the nerve to ask the lady if I could take her picture.

Denny and I were at the post office sending some items off which necessitated a rather involved transaction. Suddenly I heard this syrupy voice behind me teasing the postal employees at the counter and was intrigued, but too busy to look behind me.

As we left the post office, however, the owner of that thick Southern drawl was in front of us and what a vision she was; black gauzy skirt covered around the hips with a pink lacy shawl, black sparkly knit top, pink and black tooled leather boots and a pink straw cowgirl hat with a big, glittery pink flower on the hatband. Pink eyeshadow, catwoman eyeliner, full makeup, long dark hair pulled back; the complete package. I complimented her on her colorful outfit and she replied that she owned a dance studio for many years and was used to "costumes" so she continued to wear them to make people smile. Make me smile she did, and I thanked her for brightening my day. She said she knew if I saw her again, I'd remember her and I said yes indeed I would.

I wish I had a little of that courage or that joie de vivre myself.

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Awww...I wish you would've asked. She sounds like our kind of lady.

And I am sorry I disappeared on you today - I about had the shock of my life and I had to go.

Everything is okay - but, wow! I fell over, but didn't faint at what I saw. heehee.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you would not have been the first to ask her for a photo. :-) She sounds like a character. I too am envious of her self confidence.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...