Saturday, October 21, 2006

Geeky stuff

Now that we're back up and running with the DW 7000s upgraded system (although on the home plan rather than the pro plan) I decided to upgrade the browsers on our desk top computer as well. Internet Explorer 7 is now available for download as is Netscape 8.1.2.

Since I haven't downloaded either to the laptop which has more memory I can't really say if the problems I'm having are inherent to the desk top computer or the browsers but there are a couple of things I've noticed.

On IE 7 some sites take a very long time to load. IE7 now has a phishing filter that checks the site and that may be the cause or it may simply be that the new browser takes a lot more memory to run. I've also noticed that when you pull up your favorites list you now have to click on the folder to open it instead of simply mousing over the folder for the list of sites to show. Call me lazy but I don't like that.

Appearance-wise, IE7 now looks a lot like Firefox using the crystal theme. You can garbage up your tool bars as much as you like and there are add-ons available for the browser although unlike Firefox many of them have a fee.

I've been using Netscape 8 for quite some time as it opens bookmarked sites in a new tab, allowing you to keep a page open to work on or read while checking as many other sites as you like. The new Netscape 8.1.2 has been locking up on my computer--the tabs won't close, which locks up the browser to the point that I have to hit control-alt-delete to shut it down. I've also found that on many pages I have to reset the security settings (allowing images, allowing Java script, allowing cookies, etc.) for individual pages. That's a big irritant, believe me. I haven't really noticed any exciting changes in the browser otherwise.

For now, Firefox will be my default browser. I love the extensions you can add to make your browser work better for you (random site browser, dictionaries, blogger entry site that opens at the bottom of your screen while you continue to surf and much, much more) and it is reliable.

And people, please quit sending me those "Bill Gates will send you thousands of dollars for sending this e-mail to your friends" letters. Can you say chain letters and urban legends? Argh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For years I was a die-hard Netscape fan.. but slowly let myself be won over by IE. Now Firefox is definitely my browser of choice. And after reading your critique I don't think I will be rushing to upgrade anything too soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...