Sunday, May 06, 2007

Windblown on a Lazy Sunday

This might be the last post for a while, depending on the availability of free Wi-fi in our travels. Yesterdays winds came with a single freak gust of wind that toppled our satellite dish set up and broke the dish when it fell on its face. Naturally, this happened late on a Saturday and there are no Hughes.net dealers around. Currently, I'm using the campground's $4 a day Internet access but only until this afternoon--I'm cheap like that. We leave tomorrow for Bullhead City and I'll see what we can find in the way of dishes, but they seem to be a scarce commodity. We may have to buy a whole new system just to get the dish. I've checked eBay and folks don't want to bother with shipping out their old systems when they upgrade because it makes an awkward, ungainly and expensive shipping package. Sigh and double sigh.

So to be honest, my heart is not really into today's Lazy Sunday photos. It will just be a hodge podge that I can glean from the files quickly, especially since my back up photo disks don't all read on the laptop computer. I still haven't figured that out. Something about my HP(Compaq) desktop formatting software that prevents the Gateway (and previously my HP laptop) from reading the CDs. They appear to be blank on the laptop. Why can't they all just get along?



This is the original plaster model of The End of the Trail sculpture by James Earle Fraser. Located at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, it's one of the most moving pieces I've ever seen.



A saguaro cactus at sunset in Gold Canyon, Arizona. I never tire of the sunsets here and am constantly awed by the beauty of the desert.



I thought the juxtaposition of the old with the new was interesting here at Old Fort Niagara in New York. The British re-enactors were preparing to demonstrate firing a cannon for the visitors.



Sunset in Julian, California. It was snowing when we arrived in Julian and so cold we wondered if we made a mistake coming there. Fortunately it started warming up and we had some beautiful sunsets to make up for the temporary discomfort.



Another place we found quite chilly was Sequioia National Park in California, but the vistas were oh-so-worth it!



Cold seems to be a partial theme here, doesn't it? Actually it was quite warm in Cherry Valley, California but rain in the valley meant snow on the San Bernardino Mountains.



Finally, a tree full of herons enjoying the sunset. I have no idea of what a flock of herons is actually called. I'm sure that someone somewhere has created a website listing what various groups of animals and birds are called. Someday I'll have to check that out.

1 comment:

Silliyak said...

Try craigslist.com. Then if you're nearby, you an pick it up! Might even get it for free!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...