Saturday, January 05, 2008

Cracker Country Karaoke

You may be wondering about the title of this post. Is it Cracker Country? Is it Country Karaoke? Yes, it is all that.

We are staying at the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park. There are stages and pavilions scattered about the 750+ acres of land here, as well as "pickin' circles". The campground stages music camps and festivals and probably even a hoedown or two, but for this time of the year, the main musical activity is the Monday and Thursday evening karaoke fests. Yup.

When Denny and I said we had never really watched anyone do karaoke, Vicki brought over a menu for the restaurant where the karaoke show is held and said we could all go. Okay, Denny and I were game as long as it was understood that we wouldn't be singing. Nope, nada, huh-uh, not going to do it. And so we went. The meal was okay, the singing? OMG. As in OMG can it get any worse? Yep. It did. Fingernails on the blackboard bad. And then we had to listen to 8 year old girls sing along to songs about being beaten and battered but-I-love-my-man while their mom nodded smilingly and sang along back at their table. Excuse me???? I am SO out of here!

Don't get me wrong--there's nothing wrong with country music, and karaoke obviously could be a lot of fun. But don't let your young daughter sing to inappropriate songs, okay moms? And couldn't there have been at least one person in the whole room who could sing? American Idol's Simon Cowell would have had a field day here, I'm afraid.

Perhaps the Scrooge-y Grinchiness is still upon me--I better work on that for the new year. But I still won't sing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has been years since I have visited a Karaoke bar but I do remember sometimes being envious of those that did get up and sing. I was always way to shy for such a thing. Most of my Karaoke experiences took place in bars.. so never had to worry about children performing. That sounds like it was probably a good thing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...