Tuesday, January 15, 2008

In A Pickle...ball

Pickleball. Funny name. It's hot stuff on the list of member campground activities, though. The game? Like table tennis on a tennis court. Badminton with oversized ping pong paddles and a wiffle ball. But dang if it isn't fun!

Our first day here in Wauchula Judy asked me if I thought I'd like to give playing pickleball a try. What the heck, I thought. Ahh, but there are rules for how you serve, where you stand and can't stand--psh! Lots of stuff to remember for an old broad who has gotten lazy and has the eye-hand coordination of an elephant (and the corresponding grace on the courts). But...with a little practice I could see the attraction. Brian told me that the average age of a pickle ball player was 78 (?!?) but he might have been pulling my leg. Then again, a lady wandered up to the courts today that probably WAS 78 years old, so maybe not. And she was good.

So now, if I want to continue to do this, I need a paddle at $43 (check it out at www.pickleball.com) and balls at $15 a dozen. And a bag to carry my paddle and balls, and maybe fingerless gloves to grip the paddle better and a viser to keep the sun out of my eyes and........



My instructor Kathy serving the ball ("think bowling, Linda, think bowling") and friend Judy as her partner (standing in front of the white van). They are not only good at the game, but very patient with a clumsy beginner. Thanks, ladies!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah ha.. so now I know what pickle ball is. :-). It does look like fun.

Upstate Pickleball Group said...

Just curious, which RV park are you playing Pickleball at in the picture?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...