Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Finality


Yesterday we placed my mother's ashes in the mausoleum. Well, some of them anyway--Denny and I are also taking her to Myrtle Beach and Las Vegas since those were two places she loved best in this world. I included Mom's gambling boat "comp" cards and a very large shark's tooth she had found on the beach with her urn, envisioning her perfect place as a long shell-encrusted beach with slot machines. Why not?

The picture above is the view from the mausoleum. This summer my aunt and I will take the guided tour of the cemetery to look for the Wright Brothers, Erma Bombeck, John Patterson (of National Cash Register fame), Paul Lawrence Dunbar (the poet), Charles F. Kettering and many more well-known Daytonians (including the famous Gypsy family the Stanleys which my great-great-aunt married into). My parents are in good company there.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, Linda, I'm so sorry I missed this. I am sorry that you have lost your mom, but I also believe that you will see her again, at a time when neither of you are in pain or sorrow.

Be well, remember that YOU and YOUR feelings are as important as anyone and everyone else's, no matter what they say or do.

SkippyMom said...

You are a special and loving daughter Linda. This post made me cry thinking of you taking your Mom to Myrtle Beach and Las Vegas - as she would love so much.

I hope my kids treat me as wonderfully as you did your Mom.

Deana said...

Linda I didn't realize your mother had died. I am so sorry. I wondered about the recipe post but I didn't see where she passed.

You are right taking them to her favorite places. We would all want that. Again I am so sorry. I know these past few months have been hell for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...