Monday, May 25, 2009

Too Much Stuff

Denny and I are back in Kettering, trying to do ten things at once. Or rather I am; Denny is motoring right along with the painting. I'm having him stop after this bedroom so that I can set up for the estate sale. I'm hoping to have it by the end of June and it will take me every bit of that time to pull things from boxes, research them and set reasonable prices on everything. I know I won't do justice to the effort Mom made to collect all these things, but I'll do what I can.

Keys. How many boxes and bags of keys can one person have? Eight, minimum. Skeleton keys, clock keys, music box keys, NCR cash register keys, desk keys, luggage keys, who-knows-what keys. Brass, steel, and other. Price for collectors? Scrap metal? Combination of both? Sigh. That took hours today, sorting and separating. I was also working on her jewelry box. Gold, sterling silver, collectible costume, regular costume. And keys in the bottom drawer of the jewelry box. Did they go to something special? Who knows?

I swear I am getting rid of everything I have stored at Mom's for the last ten years. It all goes. I won't do this to my kids. They took what they wanted when we first sold our house--the stuff I stored was "my" stuff. Now, it goes. My brother found a piece of my art glass in the garage and said how beautiful it was. Yep, it IS beautiful but I've done without it for almost eleven years so I guess I can do without it forever. Purge and cleanse is going to be the name of the game before this is all over.

And then I can cry.

1 comment:

SkippyMom said...

I feel for you sweetie. It is tough. Not just the physicality of it all, but the memories and the wtheck?

A hint on the keys? Definitely a collector type object imo - I have no idea what they would sell for, but I know of people that collect keys [me, being one of them ;)]so maybe ebay or etsy?

Wish I could be of more help. I am glad you have Denny and the end of June will come and go and you will be done, right?

Take care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...