Saturday, October 22, 2005

An early morning treat

Yesterday for some reason Denny was up with me at 5:30 and happened to be looking out the living room window shortly after sunrise when he noticed what he thought was a duck floating downstream. He asked me to get the binoculars and see what I thought it was, so imagine my surprise when I discovered the floating creature was not a duck but a river otter! How cool is that?? We spotted him again near the shallows of a side channel of the river during our morning walk and watched as he attempted to catch his breakfast. We were absolutely thrilled to see the otter in a natural habitat instead of penned in a zoo in a concrete pond.

The older I get the more I despise the idea of animals being penned up in small enclosures for the enjoyment of man. And don't even get me started on training killer whales, dolphins and seals to do tricks and shows when these creatures are used to swimming hundreds of miles in their normal habitat. How cruel to enslave other living creatures for our entertainment. Okay, off the soapbox.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...