Sunday, April 08, 2007

It's Going to be Hot This Lazy Sunday

Did your local news program carry the film clip of the children collecting Easter eggs in a snow storm yesterday? I missed the name of the city where that occurred, but that certainly would create fodder for a "funniest video" film clip. Then I got to thinking, how do you hide Easter eggs in a cactus?


Who knew a black bird could be so striking? The aptly name yellow-headed blackbird. Note the bird on the left side of the picture doing a turkey imitation.

Another appropriately name fellow, the black-necked stilt. Aren't ornithologists smart?

This little guy I believe is a Costas hummingbird. He arrived three days ago and would sit on the feeder for two and three hours at a time, barely moving. I think he is an old bird and when he disappeared one afternoon I was so concerned I went outside to check the ground underneath the feeder, figuring I'd find him dead. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the hummingbird that got so impatient waiting for this guy to leave that the second hummer actually flew in between the sitting hummer and the feeding blossom and ate on the fly, never touching the little old guy. Naturally, I was out walking the cat and Denny didn't think to try to get a picture of the action.


This is why the third hummingbird had to horn his way in in front of the chubby hummer--there was a black-throated (again with the names!) hummer on the other side who also wouldn't give up his seat.


This bank of clouds glowing in the sunset reminding me of Superstition Mountain in Apache Junction, AZ.
The obligatory Sunday sunset picture. Surely you didn't think I'd end the post without one? I'm going to miss sitting out here each evening watching the evening show, but it's time to move on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the bird photos. Both the red-winged blackbird and the yellow-headed blackbird are frequent visitors to my back yard come spring. I haven't seen any yet but hope to soon.

Soulknitting said...

Linda, great bird pics!! I always love the birds at my boat too. I never ever get tired of watching them. You can even tell the weather from when they show up and then leave again. Still waiting for Mr. Tuttles to wake up and tell me Spring is really here!! He's been moving around and should be coming out soon!! Silly Tortoise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...