Saturday, March 29, 2008

Random Thoughts on a Foggy Morning

My mother called while I was showering; it seems her smoke detector was beeping and she couldn't figure out how to get the front panel off to get to the battery. I wonder how long it's going to be before we have to consider staying closer to her for her own good.

My cousin is going through the boxes of "stuff" that belonged to her mother. She has asked me to help with trying to find the value of some of the things. Right now, it's old albums and 45s which really have no value, but how do you tell someone that? She also has old movie posters which probably will have value, since her mother traveled with the circus all over the country with my cousin's grandparents. What else she'll come up with, I don't know. I imagine it will be hard for my cousin to let go of a lot of those items. I must say, our two sons will have it easy when Denny and I pass on since we won't have a lot of "stuff" to get rid of. Most of what we have is necessary to our rving lifestyle and the rest could be sorted in a day. Which is just how we like it.

Speaking of "stuff", we do have some items packed away in my mother's basement. Perhaps it's time to let go of those few items also. Anyone want some lovely antique ruby Bohemian glass?

A fifth wheel pulled in yesterday afternoon and within minutes we could hear the owner tell other neighbors that he was a fireman (the gentle has a loud voice). As the afternoon wore on, he went back and forth between his two neighbors talking and drinking beer. And more beer. He stopped by our place while I was walking Patches and Denny was sitting outside waiting for me. The man had three more beers while talking to us--I think that was about eight since he had pulled in 3 hours earlier. He and his wife have been fulltiming for four years now and I think he must not really be happy with it if he has to drink that much upon his arrival. How very sad. And sad for his wife, too. Denny and I love this lifestyle but it is not for everyone, especially if you don't have a hobby or an interest to keep your mind occupied.

And no, Darb, drinking isn't a hobby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I recommend Craigslist, both as a place to research prices for things and to sell, or give away.

Anonymous said...

If drinking were a hobby, I would find trips to Michael's or Old Time Pottery much more enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

I like to think of myself as not holding on to much stuff.. but when I really stop to look.. it is amazing just how many things I have collected over the years.. just sitting there collecting dust.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...