Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Still Waiting

Yesterday we received a call from the mechanic who is transferring our auxiliary fuel tank from the old truck to the new truck. He's having to order a different set of parts because the system we had with the 7.3L diesel engine isn't going to work with the new 6.4L diesel engine. More money, more money.

Then the mechanic asked me why we were selling the old truck. I went over the litany of repairs and costs and he said "I found what I think is the problem with your lack of engine power and black exhaust--a clamp had come off your air cooler system and the hose came off. I would have fixed it for $45." OMG, don't tell me that after I've just signed my life away on a new truck! Why would you do that to me?

It's a moot point now, and that's not to say that the truck doesn't really need 2 new fuel injectors and a new EGR and blah, blah, blah, but it does make you realize that when you are on the road and in a strange town you are totally at the mercy of service people you don't know that you can trust. Do they take advantage? Possibly. Are there honest repair people out there? Definitely. Is there a way to tell the difference? Of course not. You just have to trust people. Sometimes it's an expensive lesson. And this time, we'll never know.

$45.00 vs $4,700.00+ Wow.

3 comments:

Silliyak said...

Ouch!

Triple B Inc said...

We came across your blog and checked out your fulltimer's web site. Thanks for putting together such an informative site. My husband just retired from the Illinois State Police after 25 yrs of service, and I resigned from being a telecommunicator/call taker after 13 yrs. We just returned home from our first RV adventure to Florida. Your blog is excellent.

Anonymous said...

OMG... how disheartening is that! But I guess it is now a case of "it is what it is". And it sounds like it was most likely just a matter of time before something truly did fail on the old one.

I absolutely hate having to take my car into the dealers for any reason... even an oil change. They always seem to find "a problem".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...