Friday, August 01, 2008

Men vs. Women

Black Beauty has been in the shop this week--last week while up at my mother's house she started clunking when put into reverse and her forward gears had no "oomph" when she was cold. The second morning we received a phone call from the service tech explaining that a TSB (technical service bulletin, he oh-so-carefully explained to the ignorant female who has been researching TSBs on all her vehicles for years) said some 2008 Ford F450s had a tendency to clunk changing gears, yada, yada, yada and so the way the truck was behaving was normal.

Watch my blood pressure rise when dealing with smug, supercilious males who think they are talking with an idiot female. Suppressing my first instinct to go haughty/angry (read p*ssed) on the young man-who-doesn't-know-who-he's-dealing-with, I carefully explained that my lovely truck had run exceedingly well for 6500 miles (that's right, we've put on 6,500 miles in 4 months) and there was never a clunk to be heard UNTIL LAST WEEK AND THEREFORE SOMETHING WAS WRONG!!!!!! (Deep breath, Linda)

The resultant long pause in the conversation was rather pleasing to my ears and then the service tech said he'd do more checking and get back to us. Two more days and the next phone calls explains that oh my, we believe there's a transmission leak but we can't find it so we've put dye in the transmission and either you (the RV Vagabonds) can drive the truck for two weeks and return to the shop so they can look for the source of the leak or they (the shop) can keep the truck and drive it around for a few days to find the source. Snort. We picked up the truck.

Maybe the service tech learned something this week about assumptions and taking the easy way out. Probably not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep. Had to take Net's car back to the dealership this week when it started leaking coolant again. Service guy said it was "probably the thermostat." I told him the thermostat had been replaced and it wouldn't explain leaking coolant... sure enough, they looked at it, and it was (another) leaking water pump. As soon as somebody thinks they know everything, that's when they become dangerous.

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about cars and trucks. I am the perfect target for these guys. Good thing I married a mechanic. :-)

Nancy said...

There's always one idiot who thinks everyone's as dumb as he is.

Deana said...

I don't like being spoken down to by men in the car service department. It grips me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...