Thursday, October 14, 2010

Unfinished in Skagway

It seems we were having storms around us including golf ball sized hail so my pictures weren't loading into Bl*gger earlier. I'm going to give this one more try this evening so here goes.

A zoomed in and cropped shot of a juvenile bald eagle in the Dyea area.
A waterfall along the Klondike highway en route to the suspension bridge.

We've seen a lot of pine and spruce trees in our travels, but none with black pine cones that has a clear sap coming from them.

Looking south from the suspension bridge along the Tutshi River.
Looking down at the Tutshi River from the suspension bridge which was about one hundred feet long.
I have to admit that I found the Yukon suspension bridge to be a tourist trap. You enter by way of the gift shop (big surprise there) and then walk out to a deck area with some interpretive displays that lead to the bridge. You walk across the bridge to the other side of the river ending up on another wooden platform. Which goes nowhere. So you turn around and walk back. Where you can then purchase a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. Granted, the Tutshi River is very pretty in the fall and apparently it is known as a very dangerous and exciting white water rafting experience but to pay money to simply walk across the bridge and walk back was a bit upsetting to me.The last segment of our afternoon excursion was to "Liarsville". The current Liarsville is a recreated tent city inhabited originally by journalists sent out to cover the gold rush in Alaska. The only problem was that the newspaper reporters exaggerated the amount of gold being found in the area and the ease of getting to it and thus their compound became known as Liarsville.

There was a bordello, a blacksmith shop, a saloon and for the modern tourists; a gift shop. Go figure. I must say however, the fresh sockeye salmon grilled over spruce wood. It was absolutely the best salmon we had in Alaska. There was pasta salad, cole slaw, corn bread, grilled chicken, beans, a dessert, and more. Seating was picnic tables set under wooden rafters and the entertainment was a young man who played a squeeze box and fiddle and guitar. Liarsville turned out to be the best part of the whole day.

After dinner our bus driver drove us to an overlook high over Skagway where we were able to see our ship before finally taking us back to the dock. I had to wash our still damp and horsey-smelling clothes before I was able to relax for the evening but I have to say our bed felt really good that night.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...