Thursday, June 16, 2005

Strawberries

Yesterday while reading the Seattle Times I saw a notice for "u-pick" strawberries at Remlinger Farms in Carnation. Picking our own strawberries is something we've been doing since the kids were little and if we're in an area that has fresh strawberries to be picked; hey, we're there! It was a pleasant ten mile drive and although the fields were muddy from the rain, we picked ourselves a nice bunch of berries. I have to admit, we're really prejudiced when it comes to berries as we think Ohio has the best in the country and believe me, we've tried them from north to south, east to west.

We decided to see if they had any fresh rhubarb left in their country store and were directed to the main farm area from the fields; what a complex this is! There's a small amusement park-like are for small children under 12, a restaurant, a garden center, a petting zoo and the fresh produce area. There were at least 100 children there with moms in tow and all seemed to be having a great time. We found a frozen you-bake raspberry-rhubarb pie we couldn't resist, buying it with the knowledge that the crust would never measure up to those that Denny makes (and we were right!) This would be a great place to bring grandkids so they could get a taste of farm life.

Today was a mixture of the mundane and metaphysical. Since there are no sewer connections at this campground I can't use my washing machine as one load fills up our holding tank, so I had to use the campground laundromat. Since I'm always up at 5:30 I figured I'd get a jump on everyone and take my laundry down then. Big surprise; Denny (who got up to carry the load for me) and I are the only ones there! At least I could bring the clothes home and use my own dryer. So I'm spoiled.

At 10 a.m. the campground sponsored a talk on Reiki, a holistic manner of healing by the laying on of hands channeling a person's own energy for healing. This is something I have been researching on my own, so I attended the seminar to see what it offered. Kathleen's (the Reiki master) intent was to introduce the subject only, but I asked if she would be interested in doing a more in-depth class and she is going to consider it. I fully believe that our bodies can heal themselves given the opportunity and I see this as a potential avenue of learning. Unfortunately, when you move every one to two weeks, there's not a lot of opportunity for intensive training for anything.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...