Friday, June 09, 2006

Ennui

en·nui
Pronunciation: "än-'wE
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Old French enui annoyance, from enuier to annoy -- more at ANNOY
: a feeling of weariness and dissatisfaction : BOREDOM

Bored, bored, bored, bored. The highlight of the day will be taking the kitten to the veterinarian for her 12 week shots. Four more weeks in this brace.

I won't say that I can even begin to relate to someone with a permanent disability. I can't-my injury will heal eventually and I'll resume my normal life again. But I have seen life from the side of those that can't maneuver easily and you'd be amazed at the little things that can trip you up or make life much more difficult. Throw rugs, for instance. Tricky and dangerous to one on crutches and I imagine they could bind under a wheelchair. Furniture arranged too close to a doorway-not a problem when you can swivel your hips easily. Heavy doors on stores with no handicap push button (wonderful things!) or automatic door openers. Even the electric scooters in stores won't work for someone who can't sit with their knees bent. But who among us considers those things as we walk nimbly past those struggling to get in or out of a vehicle?

While I can't say I was ever the epitomy of grace (after all, I slipped and fell, right?) I will say that when the brace is gone and the physical therapy has me back to as normal as I'll ever be, I know I'll be grateful that my body is once again under my control and moving smoothly and easily. And I won't forget how quickly that ability can be taken away.

Happy Trails to all those on the road right now-I SO envy you! Send me a postcard, okay?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...