Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Wind is Howling on This Lazy Sunday

It would be a great day to laze in bed, but both the cat and my mother are up early and I could smell the coffee brewing. So here I am, listening to the winds created by the latest cold front moving in howling and whistling at the front door, trying to get in.

As my mind flits hither and yon trying to think of the things that still need to be done before Christmas, so does the selection of pictures for this Lazy Sunday. Because I don't have pictures of the wind.


My first ever visit to a circus was the visit Denny and I made to Baraboo, Wisconsin to see Circus World, once the winter home of the Ringling Brothers Circus. The lady clown gave a demonstration of how she applied her makeup to become a clown and had an audience member come up to be made over into a clown. Oh! How I wanted to volunteer!


This lovely fellow is one of the famous Budweiser Clydesdales who is a veteran of some of their wonderful commercials. Several of the horses are stabled at Grant's Farm in St. Louis, Missouri where you can pet the horses and perhaps catch one being put through its paces.


I love this shot--it's the capitol building of Madison, Wisconsin, taken from the rooftop of the Monona Convention Center.


I love the variety of lighthouses. To tour one and hear of tales of courage and the hard work it took to keep the lights burning to protect the ships on the big lakes makes you realize how cushy life is today. This is the lighthouse in Sturgeon, Michigan.


Not all of the wonders we see are natural. This big guy is Mac the Moose, who represents the town of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in Canada. Moose Jaw is a lovely little town with historical murals painted on the walls of its buildings and and series of underground tunnels that you can tour.


When I read of the Tumbleweed Christmas tree, I knew we had to find it. Every year the town of Chandler, Arizona creates a tree out of tumbleweeds, spraying it silver and tossing on some glitter. Also known as making lemonade out of lemons, I believe.
I see that someone has made a waypoint for geocachers involving the tree. A reason to go back!


Finally, some of the scenic rock formations at Red Rock State Park in Sedona, Arizona. You just can't beat what Mother Nature creates.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...