Monday, March 16, 2009

It's the Yeast of My Worries



The doctors ordered more blood work because my mother started running a fever again and this time they found yeast in her blood stream. Not a good thing to have to fight when your body is already worn down from trying to recover from surgery and other infections. So there will be no going home for a while. Today Mom was really agitated when I arrived at the hospital and was making no sense at all when she said something. She finally fell into a more restful sleep around 10AM and the surgeon who wanted to examine her incision actually walked away to allow her the rest. That was a surprise.

The Megase hasn't kicked in yet to increase Mom's appetite, but I got her to eat a few bites of cheesecake at lunchtime. The infectious disease doctor wants the TPN line out and a feeding tube in but not until she gets another abdominal CT to make sure there are no abscesses there. It just seems like it will never end. It's hard to watch Mom try to sleep when she seems so miserable and I can't do much to help, other than to hold her hand and make soothing sounds.

And what goes through my mind are the lyrics "My heart went up, down,
Like a merry-go-round and 'round,
Like a falling star, down, down,
Oh, oh, oh, dum-didly, dum-didly,
Dum-dum-dum dum." (Do you know where that's from? It's Dickey Lee's "I Saw Linda Yesterday")

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...