Sunday, March 08, 2009

Long Hours and Anger



Yesterday I was very encouraged about my mother's condition; she was alert, watched some TV and read a little bit of the book I brought her. She ate several bites of each meal and made sense when she spoke.

Today? Bad news. Mom's condition deteriorated once again. She wouldn't wake up, was once again a little out of her head and with six blankets on her was still chilled. It was obvious to me that something was badly wrong but I couldn't get anyone at the hospital to realize it or to care. I was *this* close to standing in the hallway outside of Mom's room and screaming at the top of my lungs to get someone's attention. The nurse finally called the attending doctor for me who realized that Mom was worse than yesterday and that something was not right. The doctor noticed the ostomy bag had not been emptied and I explained about the bag leaking badly two separate times last week, each time leaching into area of Mom's surgical incision. Blood work was ordered, blood gases were done as well as a chest X-ray and the doctor said she would order a brain scan if nothing was found in the blood work. Well, apparently infection was found after I finally went home (I was too close to exploding at the staff at this point) and according to my brother who took over in the afternoon, Mom is now back on heavy duty antibiotics. Blood gases were in the normal range with no word on the blood work but Don's girlfriend (a nurse) seems to think sepsis is a concern. So here we go again. And I'm wondering how much of this could have been prevented if the staff had dealt with the ostomy bag situation properly the first time.

The picture above? The Dayton skyline at night as seen from the hospital parking garage, something I've become quite familiar with over the past three weeks.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

As the daughter and a sister of nurses, let me tell you, we watch what's done and not done like hawks. The nurses too often have case loads that no two nurses should have, and that means patient care suffers.

Remember to breathe.

Anonymous said...

It is a sad fact that in this age of medical care (the same holds true here in Canada), patient's families have to act as patient care advocates. This is a huge problem in our health care system. I have often wondered and worried about those with no family. They are so often the ones that slip through the cracks. Scary times for those that are sick and/or elderly.

I am relieved to hear that your Mom has been restarted on the antibiotics.

And the picture of the skyline ... well it is just lovely.

Hang in there Linda.

SkippyMom said...

It is a blessing that either you or your brother are there with your mother to insist that she is well taken care of. I can imagine the toll it is taking on you to leave her in the evening, but I know you are making sure that the staff is well aware that YOU know what is going on.

A bit off topic, but I thought, perhaps it might make you smile a lil' bit - I want to thank you for the beautiful pick of the skyline from the hospital. I haven't seen it since my birth oh so many years ago. That is the hospital I was born in [if I am not mistaken - I was born in Dayton and I assume that is the only hospital in Dayton proper?] Anyway - OH rocks! and the people I have met there [including you and Denny] make me proud to say I am [in some samll way] an Ohioan.

Drop me an email if you need anything, 'kay?

SkippyMom said...

pic' not pick..lol..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...