Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Neat neighbors

Mom's neighbor Jerry didn't realize Denny and I were home as we are driving a rental car, so he came over today and used a blower on all her leaves and got them piled up by the road for pick up by the city (a nice benefit of living in Kettering). So round one of raking goes to Jerry, but we'll do the rest. Mom has lived here for almost fifty years and there are a few of the original neighbors still around but the newer ones have turned out to be great. Neighborhoods will never be what they were when we were kids, but this is still a good one.

Mom's blood pressure was lower today, which is good since she took her first dose of meds. The vaporizer apparently helped also as she didn't have any overnight nose bleeds. So Denny and I felt comfortable leaving to do some more shopping and as I left I told Mom to check the "job" list I had created for items that needed to be fixed, handled or dealt with and told her to add whatever else she would like done. Boy, be careful what you ask for! It seems she's decided she wants a white bath tub. We changed out the toilet and the sink years ago but left the putrid peachy-pink 50s bath tub, telling her to buy a long shower curtains or to consider having a liner installed or having the tub refinished. Well, she wants a new tub. Sigh. Okay, that's next summer's project now. Which also means re-tiling the walls surrounding the tub and she wants it to go all the way up to the ceiling. Double sigh.

Just because I love her, I fixed the standing rib roast I purchased this morning anyway, although if I had known she was going to blind side us with a major project I might have given it a second thought-heh. If she continues to eat the way she ate tonight, she'll be replenishing her blood quite soon!

Tomorrow Mom is going to try to work some at her estate sale (she handles estate and moving sales as a business) to see how it goes. She'll have her business partner with her, so I may be able to start doing some work around the house here while she's away. I think within a day or two I'll manage to get some pictures and information about some of our past travels online here. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Soulknitting said...

Sorry to hear about the troubling news with your Mom. I bet in her heart she is SOOOO glad you are there.

Ohio, cold. Snow. I spent the first few years as a small child in Cleveland. Hrummmph. LOVED the leaves in the Fall. Are any still around? Take pics.

Let me know when you need help with the music on your blog. I was going to tell you to visit the Botanical Gardens in Phoenix. Not now I guess. Maybe you should send me pics of snow when THAT happens. (Running and ducking).

RVVagabond said...

Last year on my birthday while we were here in Kettering it snowed 20 inches in 24 hours. The good news was that my son was visiting so he had to spend the night (and therefore extra time with his mom).

Unfortunately we are about two and a half weeks too late for peak leaf color. We ARE home in time to rake, however. I will be sure to post pictures of snow for those who are stuck in sunny, warm climes so you can see what you are missing. However, I have to admit that hot chocolate with marshmellows tastes much better at 20 degrees than at 80 degrees. ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...