Wednesday, November 02, 2005

RVing, for us

Last week we were parked on a site that backed up to the Colorado River in an area near tribal land so the far side of the river was undeveloped. That allowed us to watch the river otter fishing for his meals, grackles bathing en masse on the sand bar in the late afternoon, blue herons stalking their meal in the mornings and the peaceful passing of canoists. This week we're backed up to the same river just 50 miles to the north where the banks are full of homes and campgrounds and businesses and the river itself runs wider and deeper making it a recreational area heavily used by folks with power boats and Sea Doos. These differences are part of the reason we travel, as well as:

1. Meeting new people, whether it's our neighbors or the store clerk we talk to several times in the course of our stay. If you sit outside in your lounge chair or start working on the outside of your rig you're pretty assured that someone will stop by to chat.
2. Educating ourselves, which comes in the form of learning the history of an area, discovering the differences in topography of various parts of the country, seeing the natural wonders along with those mad-made, exploring local museums, following that back road to who knows where, the chance to learn new activities such as pickleball, line dancing, beading and other crafts and much more at many of the campgrounds during the slower winter months.
3. Being able to "control" our climate. We move north during the summer and south during the winter, trying to avoid temperature extremes and to stay out of snow.
4. The lack of responsibilities of home ownership; no mowing the lawn, maintaining the garden, shoveling the driveway (that's a biggie for Denny), painting and related upkeep, etc.
5. The expectation of going to a new area, traveling new roads and seeing new sights. We've destroyed a lot of our pre-conceived notions about several states and have discovered beauty in all of them. There is so much more out there yet to see.

Now, what do I, personally, miss about home?
1. Family, friends and neighbors-the biggie.
2. Libraries. When you travel, most local libraries won't issue you a library card, even a temporary one. Guess they figure we're gypsies, therefore unreliable.
3. Convenient shopping. Back home, we had tons of competing grocery stores which made for great low prices as well as every imaginable store we could want within a fifteen minute drive.
4. Our fireplace on a cold winter night, our deck for the milder weather.
5. Decorating the house and the tree for Christmas. Now I have a two foot tree for my table as storage space constraints means little decorating. However, last year my mom turned her tree decorating over to me once we flew home and I assume she'll do so this year, so that helps create the Christmas feeling again.

A strange list, isn't it? Other than family, neither one of us really misses "home" or having a home. And considering I never moved farther than 10 miles from the place I was born for the first 46 years of my life, that's kind of surprising. But life on the road continues to enthrall us and so we'll follow those red lines on the map for a while longer with the understanding that family may call us home at any given point, but the road not taken will call us back.

3 comments:

Soulknitting said...

I agree with you in many areas. While I love my 'home' I have spent years living on a island with one small room. Loved that. It forced me to have nothing!!! And when I travel, I try to take nothing or if I take too much crap, I leave it there for people who need it. When I left India after a months visit, I left all my shoes and clothes except for what I wore on the plane. If I hadn't bought it in India, I left it there. Having a boat that I spend 'living' time on, I really like being in a small space with just so much stuff.

I have toooooo much stuff. My goal is to get rid of HALF of it at least. Within the nexgt few months. Otherwise, I'm never going to be able to sell my house and move. TOOOOO much stuff.

I think I would LOVE RV'ing. Exspecially now that computers have become so mobile!!!

You should write a travel book. You write very well.

RVVagabond said...

Kim, you would indeed, love RVing and there are many single women out there traveling. New technology does allow for more convenient Internet access on the road at many campgrounds or you can do as we did and go for the satellite Internet for 24 hour access.

It sounds like you have done quite a bit of traveling on your own in much more exotic locals than us and that you're already used to traveling light so I think you'd really like the lifestyle. And Luna would have lots of opportunities to make new friends although she wouldn't always have the freedom to run that she has now.

As you can tell, I'm an ardent proponent of the lifestyle. And it's amazingly simple to get rid of "stuff" once you see it as an impediment rather than a necessity, whether it's to go on the road or move to a new place. Of course, when I want to see my "stuff" I just have to visit either of our sons as they ended up with a lot of it. Heh.

Thanks for the compliment about the writing. I try to keep it interesting and informative when I can but sometimes I just blather on. After all, some days you just have to do housework, right?

Nancy said...

Well......for now, I'll have to live vicariously thru you two. And, I have to admit, I'm still in love with my garden and would hate to give it up forever.

But I do wish we could pack up and go driving for a couple of weeks at a time.

Now, where's that winning lottery ticket... it's GOT to be around here somewhere!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...