Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Word Is...

We saw the orthopedic surgeon this morning (and indeed, he's lacking in people skills) who says that the lower portion of my kneecap is shattered so chances are he'll have to remove most of that and attach the patellar tendon to whatever's left. This won't be a pretty arthroscopic surgical scar, either. Nope, a big cut is in store, 4-6 more weeks in my "keep the leg straight from ankle to thigh" brace and 4-6 months of recuperation and therapy. This link explains it, but there are graphic pictures of the surgical repair if you are squeamish.

The surgeon's office will call later this afternoon to schedule the surgery for some time next week. All of which means many, many more nights of trying to sleep flat on my back and days of sitting on the couch with my leg stretched out all day. The good news is that there is no pain involved when I keep the leg still. The bad news is I can't frickin' do anything! Sigh. Okay, I'm done whining. But seriously, it's really, really hard to have to depend on other people to do everything that you normally do (cooking, cleaning, washing, even feeding the cat). The no-bending-no-weight on the leg rule prevents of a lot of normal movement and activities and I'm having trouble dealing with having to ask for everything instead of being able to hop up and get it or do it.

Obviously the painting and repairing isn't going to get done for a while and Denny will get to play golf with the guys instead of with his wife for a while. But once I get settled into some sort of routine I'll get back to work on the website and do some trips from our past on the blog.

Right now I'm just going to pout for a while.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...