Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Making plans

It was time to broach the subject of moving on with Bwaahaahaa Billy as he put me through my paces on a new set of instruments of torture.  To keep my mind off the feeling that my knee was going to snap like a stressed rubber band I asked B.B. if he could work up a therapy routine that I could follow if we took off for a few weeks.  I explained that we really wanted to take the rig and drive over to New York to see our grandkids if that wouldn't interfere with my recuperation.  B.B. said that there wasn't a whole lot more he could introduce into my physical therapy regime as there were only so many different types of stretching exercises he could teach me; he's not concerned about strengthening my leg yet although that certainly is necessary but for right now he's more concerned with loosening up the tendon to gain mobility in the knee joint.  So yes, we could take off and check back in with him when we returned.  Yay.

As soon as we got back to the house we started looking through our membership campground books to see where we could stay in northern Ohio to break the trip up.   I went online to make reservations at the first two locations and called about the third one.  It looks like we'll be leaving here on August 7 and returning on September 11, which will make a nice break for us and for my mother. 

Of course, we haven't cleared this with my orthopedic surgeon yet, but I figure all he does is poke my knee and ask me how I'm doing so I figure he won't even notice if I don't show up for a few weeks.  Now that we have definite plans to hit the road that gives me extra incentive to work harder at getting this recalcitrant knee of mine to flex a little more.   We even ran to the local St. Vincent de Paul thrift shop where we found an old exercise bicycle to use; I can only go forward and back half-way on the pedals at this point but it helps to move the joint and we can put it in the rig when we leave.   Anything to get our lives back on track and to be back on the road.

Are we excited?  You betcha!

2 comments:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

Glad to hear your knee is getting better and you're planning a 'road' trip. I cringe at the thought of something like that happening to one of us as we don't really have a place we could stay (like your mother's). It would be doubly awful if it happened to my husband as I can't drive this rig!

Sandra

RVVagabond said...

Sandra, I am indeed fortunate to have the chance to stay at my mother's house, although we could have stayed at a campground and located an orthopedic surgeon in any larger city. I would have learned to have dealt with the crutches in the rig and the steps, but it did make it easier to have a one-floor house available.

On the "can't drive this rig"; run, do not walk, to an Escapade, or Samboree or any of the FMCA rallies, etc. that might have the driving course for spouses as you really, really need to be able to drive your rig in an emergency. Of course, if you have something like MASA insurance where they air lift you out in an emergency and provide a driver for your rig, that's great (we have that also). But I learned to drive our motorhome right away (since we had had a van, to me it was just like a big van) and took the wheel of our Ford F450 when we switched over to a fifth wheel. It just makes sense to me to be able to move the rig, even if it's only away from the scene of an accident/problem to a nearby campground; because I just proved that sh*t happens. Good luck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...