Monday, January 02, 2006

Lists of lists

I can tell it's getting closer to the time to leave; I've started making lists.

I have lists of things to pack, lists of things to clean out of my mom's refrigerator that we won't have time to eat and she won't eat, list of things to do yet before we leave. The older I get the more lists I have to make to remember what I need to do.

As RVer's, we started with a list of "jobs" that needed to be done to set up and break camp each trip. There were two lists; those things that had to be done inside like putting away all loose items, securing cupboards doors, stowing the TV antennae, turning off the water heater, etc. and those things that needed to be handled outside like stowing all the hoses and electrical lines, taking down the satellite dish, putting away the lawn chairs, etc. After a while, we developed our routine and no longer needed our lists. But one day when we had a small medical emergency Denny and I started discussing the fact that the day might come when we might be hospitalized or injured and one of our sons would have to come pack up the rig and drive it to another location. Neither one of them is an RVer, so we had to create an explicit step-by-step list of instructions on how to pack up and hitch up the rig to relocate it. It was an eye-opening experience as we take our making/breaking camp procedures for granted and can do the whole routine start to finish in about 45 minutes but when broken down the list seems rather daunting. Perhaps when we bring the rig home this summer we'll do a run through of "The List" (which we have stored in the rig and told both sons where to find it, not that they remember) so they have some idea of what we're referring to and won't be totally lost.

Of course, one of the smartest things we've done in this past year was purchase coverage through MASA (Medical Air Services Association)which provides a service where they drive your rig to your home (or location of choice) if they have to air lift you for a medical emergency as well as many other benefits to those who frequently find themselves out in the boonies and then have a medical emergency. It would make it easier on the boys, but I still think they should have an idea of how to get the rig from Point A to Point B.

Hmm, I guess I should think about creating a web page of RVing tips for my RV Vagabonds web site. I'll put that on my list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The email with the instructions is dated December 14, 2002. Still got it. So nyah nyah nyah. ;)

RVVagabond said...

HA! You're not my REAL son, as my REAL son always said nanny-nanny-boo-boo! Yuk-Yuk!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...