Monday, January 09, 2006

Perseverance Pays

After working on it off and on for four hours, I have our DirecWay Internet service functioning. Having put it on vacation stand-by when we left for Ohio, we discovered on our return that they actually de-commission the service, which means my modem software reverts to its original state which is about four updates back. So I couldn't get my account re-registered until the new software would upload and the modem supposedly was too old to handle that, per tech support. So they are FedExing me a new one. In the meantime, this morning I noticed the proper lights were starting to flash so I checked the system page and discovered the new software update had managed to download itself into the modem. Darn that tech support! I'll still switch out the modems when the new one arrives as it will have the latest software as its default setting, but I hate to mess with something once I have it working. The old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

So we're back in business with both computers working so I can pull out the backup disks of digital pictures and do some travel blogs again. But not today; today I've had enough of computer stuff for a while. Check in tomorrow, okay?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...