Sunday, June 17, 2007

Lazy Sunday Honors Father's Day

We lost my father to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in 1996. Also known as Lous Gehrig's disease, the ALS took him in seven months, well below the national average of five to seven years.

My father worked hard all his life to support us, leaving little time to share with his kids, but he did better with his grandkids. But I think he would have hated the idea of being a great-grandpa because he was a little vain and that would have sounded too old for his taste.

So Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there and all those *up* there.


Darby was the first grandchild. Good thing Grandpa didn't realize that the Darb had been slobbering prior to his baptism.


Babysitting can just wear a man out.


Christmas was and is a big deal at our house and Dad was just as big a kid as the rest of us when opening presents.


Dad with my niece, Elaine on our deck. Obviously these pictures are from the late 70s and 80s, since that little girl is now pregnant with her own little girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear friend's mom died from ALS. It is a terrible disease. I am so sorry to learn that your dad had it also.

My dad is also "up there". I miss him every day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...