Sunday, June 24, 2007

Lazy Sunday Scenes From Last Week

Much of our week was spent assisting at the estate sale my mother was running (well, I assisted while Denny did odd jobs and played golf) so there wasn't a lot of picture taking going on this past week. But we did have a few quiet moments to enjoy the campground and our surroundings. Bird song surrounds us daily and occasionally we see the flashes of red, blue and orange belonging to the cardinals, blue jays and orioles that swoop among the trees, while the huge shadows of silent vultures floating above provide moving targets for Patches to chase.


A little maintenance got the Mantis tiller running, making it much easier to hoe between the plants in the garden. My father-in-law is still proud of the fact that his picture is on the Mantis website.


Who knew that potatoes could be pretty? It looks like there is going to be a good crop this year.


I not only hauled river rock from the creek bed for my little mini-flower bed around the cedar tree, but Denny dug the dirt from there, too, using a five gallon bucket to carry the dirt. Imagine my surprise when after dumping and spreading the dirt around this little toad appeared. Why he wasn't crushed by the weight of the dirt in that bucket, I don't know.


The dry creek bed that Patches and I wander every evening. It looks like a shady road in the forest, doesn't it? Ohio is suffering a drought this year and the rainfall has been about eight inches below normal so far. This creek would be a delightful babbling brook if it was full of water, because there are dips and large rocks to plash (look it up) about.


Nooks and crannies and fallen trees abound along the banks of the creek. From all the sniffing that Patches does around the exposed roots of the trees at the upper banks of the creek I can only assume that critters might rest there in the day, leaving their scent for a curious cat.


Patches' TV. I scatter sunflower seeds for the birds so that Patches has entertainment while we're gone, but it didn't take long for the squirrel to discover the bounty.


When I come home from a long day of being on my feet, I look forward to sitting with my feet up, rocking and swaying in my rocker-glider. This is what I find instead.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...