Thursday, June 14, 2007

Something Different

A friend had free tickets for a showing of the new movie "A Mighty Heart" at the new upscale shopping mall just outside of my hometown of Kettering, Ohio. Since Denny and I have been helping my mother set up an estate sale just outside the Kettering city limits during the day, we accepted Lin's offer to join her. At the time I accepted Lin's invitation I had no idea of what movie we were going to see, I just knew that Denny and I needed some mindless entertainment from the work we've been doing.

Mindless entertainment this movie is not. Angela Jolie does a credible job portraying Mary Anne Pearl, the wife of journalist Daniel Pearl who was abducted and later beheaded in Pakistan. The movie is Mary Anne's perspective of the abduction and of the attempts of those around her to find Daniel. This is one of those movies that will have you discussing the morals and thought processes of the characters afterwards.

What I couldn't figure out is why there were men at the door asking us to turn off our cell phones (reasonable and agreeable) and then looking in all the women's purses for recording devices and cameras. It seems we were at special preview showing a week in advance of the actual movie release date, so I assume they didn't want any of the footage showing up on YouTube. There were men who wandered the theater during the entire film watching for cameras or cell phones being used, intent on removing anyone using such a device. Interesting.

Upon exiting the theater we were treated to a sunset that was quite spectacular for this area. And then we had a 20- mile drive home to a very unhappy cat.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...