Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Tidbits and New Bits

Woot! Yesterday while shopping the new Lowe's store in Xenia I found moss roses! Yay! Now my little cedar tree flower bed is done.

Strangely enough, Denny and I got a kick out of shopping at Lowes
yesterday because we stumped two different associates with our
requests; linseed oil and hardware cloth. Dumbfounded looks were the
first response, followed by the associate approaching a senior member
of the staff for assistance. No linseed oil, but they did havetung oil
varnish and teak oil (the senior associate knew what he was doing). I
went for the teak oil because two wonderful little folding chairs I
bought from the estate sale my mother handled may be teak, or if not,
they are a sturdy hardwood that would soak up the oil. Denny's request
for hardware cloth meant that we were eventually sent to the lawn and
garden department where the associate was clueless, but we discovered
the cloth near the chicken wire. We were surprised to find that the
cloth is now manufactured in plastic as well as wire, but we were
looking for pieces of the hardware cloth and not entire rolls. We may
have to find a Tractor Supply store to be able to buy just a piece.

The
teak oil worked wonderfully on the chairs, although they need another
soaking in a day or so. It's raining right now so pictures will have to
wait. These little chairs are going to be perfect for traveling since
they fold up fairly flat and are lightweight but incredibly sturdy,
having been made back in the 40s probably.

As I mentioned, it's raining, so we'll not be doing the gardening in Cinci today as planned. Tonight we're meeting up with Denny's sister and aunt to see "Grease" at the La Comedia dinner theater in Springboro. We always have a great time there and the shows are always well done.

The new bit? Over in the right hand column below the Flavicon
button is a new button called Crystal Cachet. It leads you to my
website that shows what I've been doing on our off-days. It's a work in
progress...

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I had to look hard for my moss rose too. Odd, 'cause it's usually a mainstay down here for the hot weather. I musta blinked and missed the flats.

Lois Lane said...

Be careful with the oil. I saw the Antiques Road Show the other day that said it was bad. *GASP!*

RVVagabond said...

No, no, no, Miss Lois Lane, you may NOT tell me not to use teak oil because of something you saw on the Antiques Roadshow and then blythely sign off without explaining why! NO FAIR, *she whines*

Nancy, I think I'm going to hoard the seeds my moss roses produce and spread them about the country like Johnny Appleseed (another Buckeye, albeit a slightly more famous one *cough*).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...