Friday, June 22, 2007

Two Long Days

Yesterday and today I helped out at the estate sale my mother and her partner were handling. It's work. Followed by boredom. Followed by work.

Most people that come to these sales are nice. Your first group through will be your antique dealers, flea market set-up folks, ebay buyers. Then your wanna-be dealers, collectors, bored old folks. Then the second day are the flea-ers again (they know the second day is discount or half-price day) or the young folks furnishing a house or apartment, or old folks needing a bargain to replace items or the bored housewives. And there are always the thieves, who leave behind a trail of empty boxes/envelopes/sleeves/packages, etc. It's fascinating to stand on the sidelines as it were, listening to the stories from the neighbors of the family whose belongings you are selling, or the hard-luck stories of those trying to get a bigger discount or trying to weasel their way in before the sale even starts (I'm going out of town, to a wedding/can't come back/having an operation,blah,blah,blah). Today there was a 10-year old boy going from room to room dragging his mother to see this and that wonderful thing--he was our best salesman and just as cute as a button. His family bought a lot of "stuff" and the young man was thrilled with what they found. A future antique dealer in training, I think.

I made out okay, too. My pay for assisting was a beautiful set of 12 etched crystal wine glasses (from the 40s). I love crystal and crystal wine glasses are my one indulgence in the rv. So I'll switch out the ones I currently use (a delicate iridescent antique crystal) for these. And have a whole bunch of back up stems since I only carry 4 stems at a time. I'm a happy camper.

And it rained today. For a whole hour. But we'll take it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...