Saturday, June 09, 2007

Urban Legends by E-Mail

Well meaning friends and family members have been sending me all sorts of horror stories and/or ways to make money in minutes in their e-mails lately. You know the ones; my cancer could have been prevented if I had a CA-125 blood test, Bill Gates will pay you good money if you forward ten of your friends' e-mail addresses to Microsoft, etc. Whenever I get one of these e-mails the first thing I do is check it through Snopes for validity. Some items, like children being poisoned by antibacterial hand wash, turn out to be true, but the majority are simply urban legends that have been cycling through the Internet time and time again. If you get one of these and think you should pass it on to friends take two minutes to check it out on Snopes.com before you hit the forward button.

My inbox thanks you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...