Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Stone Cold Fossil Filchers

Our ground around our campsite is a little worn. The current owners here have been working hard but apparently the campground was in pretty bad shape when they bought it and it takes a while to get everything back in shape. I thought I would take river rock from the dry creek bed across the driveway from our trailer and make a small flower bed around the little cedar tree that marks the boundry of our lot. For the last couple of days as Patches and I took a walk (she likes the creek bed because it is below ground level and away from people) I would put the rocks I found that were the right shape and size in a pile near the area where we would clamber up near a root hold. I had found several nice rocks with some interesting fossils in them and I was planning on taking a large bucket down to load them all when we finished our walk.

That plan was interrupted by the neighbor's dog which was unleashed and unwilling to let a cat pass by unmolested. She came after Patches like a bat out of h*ll and I learned why the retractible leash people warn you about keeping your fingers away from the string of the leash. Let me tell you, when you try to grab a cat who is running full tilt away from you by the leash string to stop her you burn a huge blister on your fingers! Patches did get in a couple of good swipes at the dog's face before the owners grabbed the dog, but I got some good scratches and the burn out of it. Needless to say, after that the rocks were the last thing on my mind.

Today Denny and I hit the local golf course for eighteen holes and when we returned to our campsite I saw two young girls carrying some nice flat rocks to their campsite. I thought "uh oh" there goes my rocks and sure enough, by the time we had put the golf clubs away the parents were down in the creek with the girls and a bucket gathering my nice little pile of rocks. Sigh.

So tomorrow I'll wander a little farther down the creek bed, this time taking a bucket with me, and gather more rocks. Maybe. First we're driving to Cincinnati so Denny can build a rudimentary water system for his dad's garden. Pictures to follow.

And no, the neighbors have no intention of leashing their dog. It's going to be a long summer.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...